Cockpit Country/Martha Brae/Rio Bueno/Falmouth Biosphere Reserve – working on nomination information for submission.
Trelawny Parish Council,
20 February 2019
- The Chair, Ms Joy Douglas, extended a special welcome to His Worship the Mayor Councillor C. Junior Gager who gave opening remarks.
- Ms. Shannel Shand, Youth Ambassador reported on the Iberomab Youth Forum
- Dr. Maria Smith gave a report on a Volunteer Conference she attended in Berlin, Germany in December 2018 which highlighted how to prepare young people to protect the environment and help with the sustainability of the Biosphere Reserve.
- Ms. Dione Chambers gave an update on the Cockpit Country/ Martha Brae/ Rio Bueno Biosphere Reserve proposed Boundary Description
THE WAY FORWARD
The matter of Policy and Institutional arrangement to be discussed with the Minister of Local Government and Community Development, the Permanent Secretary along with the Trelawny Municipal Corporation, the Social Development Commission (SDC) & other stakeholders.
- Include Biosphere Reserve on the agenda of the Physical Planning Environment and Development Committee of the Trelawny Municipal Corporation.
- Mobilize local residents to begin the mapping of flora and fauna in the Biosphere.
- List of Olympians from Trelawny to be incorporated in the Trelawny Sustainable Development Plan (TLSDP).
- Incorporate gender, youth and disabled persons in the Trelawny Sustainable Development Plan (TLSDP) review.
A powerpoint presentation on the nomination document was also shared at the meeting.